Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Increasing demand for environmental qualifications

Figures show increasing numbers of people are seeking environmental qualifications. Over two years the number registered for Environmental Management qualifications had more than doubled. We offer two such qualifications – the Certificate in Environmental Management In 2009, around 1,100 people registered for a NEBOSH environmental qualification. Last year, the number of registrations rose to almost 2,200. Registrations so far in 2011 indicate a further rise this year to around 2,700, an increase of almost 150% on 2009.

Research among recently qualified NEBOSH students also showed that nearly three quarters (70%) of those taking one of its environmental management qualifications have their course and examination fees paid for by their employer.

"Our figures show that more and more people are seeking a specialist qualification to go with their environmental management responsibilities," said NEBOSH Chief Executive, Teresa Budworth. "And judging by the willingness of employers to fund and support their staff with this, it is clear that more and more employers want them to be qualified in this field."

Around two thirds of those who take a NEBOSH Environmental Management qualification are employed in a health and safety role. The majority of the rest are environmental specialists. Two thirds also already hold another NEBOSH qualification.

CRS currently offers  the NEBOSH Certificate in Environmental Management  Further information about our NEBOSH Courses contact Ros Stacey on 01283 509175 or email:rs@crsrisk.com

Thursday, 12 January 2012

More than twenty hospitalised after chemical spill at Livingstone warehouse

MORE than 20 people have been taken to hospital following a chemical spill at a warehouse.

The incident happened at the two-storey Palletways warehouse in Livingston, West Lothian, shortly after 8am yesterday 11 January 2012.

The chemical involved was understood to be denatonium benzoate, which is included in products such as shampoos and liquid soaps.

Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said 23 people were taken to the town's St John's hospital after complaining of breathlessness and throat irritation.

Firefighters were called to the scene in MacIntosh Road at 8.08am.

The spillage happened as the chemical was being moved on a forklift truck.
Fire crews evacuated the building before making the area safe and clearing the chemical.

About 20 firefighters wearing breathing equipment and chemical suits were involved in the two-hour operation. The fire service said the spill was "small" and that 23 people had complained of breathlessness and throat irritation. The casualties are understood to be workers at the warehouse.

They were checked over by ambulance crews at the scene and taken to St John's casualty department for check-ups.

A fire service spokeswoman said: "More than 20 firefighters were called to a chemical spill at Palletways warehouse in Livingston, West Lothian, shortly after 8am this morning.

"A small spillage of non-toxic chemical occurred at the business in Simpson Parkway, near MacIntosh Road, Kirkton, Livingston. The building was evacuated by fire crews and 23 people were checked over at the scene by ambulance crews before being taken to St John's Hospital in Livingston for a check-up after the incident.  The casualties were complaining of throat irritation and mild breathlessness. Firefighters using breathing apparatus and wearing gas-tight chemical suits dealt with the spillage and made the area safe.  A total of six fire and specialist appliances were sent out to the scene with the incident concluded just after 10am."

Denatonium benzoate, often known as Bitrex, is a foul-tasting substance used in toxic household products, such as bleach or anti-freeze, to make them taste bitter and prevent accidental ingestion.

Dr Alison McCallum, director of public health and health policy at NHS Lothian, said: "NHS Lothian was alerted to the non-toxic chemical spill and appropriate action plans were immediately activated at St John's Hospital to deal with any casualties.  The chemical involved, denatonium benzoate, was quickly identified as non-toxic and, therefore, there was no risk to the wider community.  A total of 23 people were identified as having minor symptoms and they were assessed and treated in the accident and emergency department in St John's.  There is no impact on the services at St John's, which continue to run normally."

Wednesday, 11 January 2012

How to create economic incentives in occupational safety and health - a practical guide

This new Guide on Economic Incentives Schemes (see link below) is intended to serve as a practical and user-friendly guide to help employers to create or optimise their own incentive schemes. The guide says that incentives schemes should not only reward past results of good occupational safety and health / OSH management (such as low accident numbers), but should also reward specific prevention efforts that aim to reduce future accidents and ill-health.

http://osha.europa.eu/en/publications/reports/guide-economic-incentives

Sunday, 8 January 2012

Eleven killed in hot air balloon power lines accident, Wellington, New Zealand

Eleven people were killed in a hot air balloon when their aircraft hit power lines, burst into flames and crashed near Wellington in New Zealand. The balloon went down near the small rural town of Carterton, 150 kilometres north of Wellington, on the country's north island. Those on board included five couples and the pilot.
New Zealand police say it appears one of those couples jumped from the basket before it hit the ground, and their bodies were found about 200 metres from the crash site. The victims are yet to be formally identified, and police say the bodies are badly burnt. Investigators have five eye witnesses, three of whom work for the company that owns the balloon, the Early Morning Balloon Company, which is based in Carterton.
"It appears a fire has ignited on board, causing the hot air balloon to crash in farmland. Sadly, the pilot and 10 passengers onboard have not survived," Wellington district police commander Mike Rusbatch said. "This is an absolutely tragic incident and our thoughts are with the families of the deceased." Radio New Zealand reporter Hugh Barlow says he spoke to a cyclist who saw the crash happen from a distance. "He knew the balloon, he had been up with his own family and he feels he probably knows who the pilot is," he said. "He said he looked up and saw flames licking up the side of the big wicker basket. He immediately ran to the first house he could find and rang 111. "When he came out, he said there was about 10 metres of flames trailing and the balloon was descending very quickly. He said he saw it disappear down to ground level."
Local resident Don Cunningham was walking his dog in the area when he realised the balloon was in trouble. "I could then hear the burning but I couldn't see the balloon, so I was looking for the balloon and I could just see the top of it descending," he said. "I thought nothing of it but then I heard some screaming and shouting and saw a large plume of black smoke." Mr Cunningham says the balloon came down in farmland. "The guy who flies the balloon, if it was the normal guy, he's incredibly experienced, " he said. "I've lived here nearly three years and he would fly on average twice a week even during the winter."
David McKinlay was watering his garden when he looked up and saw the balloon in flames. He says it was clear no-one would survive. "Couldn't believe what I was seeing - there were flames leaping up the side of the basket towards the guy ropes of the balloon," he said. "I dropped the hose, ran inside and dialled 111, and eventually by the time I got back the thing had completely disintegrated. "I don't know what height it was but it was coming down at a colossal speed." Jill Stringer from the local area health board says the weather conditions were fine. "It was a perfect morning for ballooning this morning," she said. "Our balloon pilots have such a fantastic safety record and this is just such a bizarre happening." Ms Stringer says the terrain around Carterton is perfect for ballooning. "That's why it's a bit of a centre for ballooning. It's flat and at this time of the morning ... there's minimal breezes and it was a lovely still morning," she said.

Friday, 6 January 2012

Ecuador Appeals court rules Against Chevron in Pollution Case

An Ecuadorean appeals court has upheld a ruling this week that Chevron should pay damages totalling $18.2bn (£11.5bn) over Amazon oil pollution. Chevron said the judgement was "illegitimate" and "a fraud". Texaco, which merged with Chevron in 2001, was accused of dumping toxic materials in the Ecuadorean Amazon.  The original ruling ordered Chevron to pay $8.6bn in damages, which was more than doubled after the company failed to make a public apology. "We ratify the ruling of February 14 2011 in all its parts, including the sentence for moral reparation," the court in the Amazonian city of Lago Agrio said in its ruling, according to Reuters.

In a statement released in response, Chevron said the decision was a "glaring example of the politicization and corruption of Ecuador's judiciary". It said it would continue to seek recourse through proceedings outside Ecuador. The decision is the latest twist in a long-running legal battle between Chevron and the Ecuadorean plaintiffs.

The lawsuit was brought on behalf of 30,000 Ecuadoreans, in a case which has dragged on for years. Ecuadorean indigenous groups said Texaco dumped more than 18bn gallons (68bn litres) of toxic materials into unlined pits and rivers between 1972 and 1992. But Chevron says Texaco spent $40m cleaning up the area during the 1990s, and signed an agreement with Ecuador in 1998 absolving it of any further responsibility.

In September, a US appeals court overturned a decision to block the collection of the fine from the company.  Plaintiffs, who had agreed not to attempt to collect the damages until the appeals process was completed in Ecuador, welcomed Tuesday's ruling. "This [ruling] confirms and ratifies that the company polluted and affected the Amazon," they said in a statement. "It is necessary to clarify that no amount will be enough to repair all the crime they did in our area, nor will it be enough to bring the dead back to life."

Ecuador's President Rafael Correa described the dispute as a "David and Goliath" battle. "I think justice has been done," he said after the ruling was announced. "The harm that Chevron caused to the Amazon cannot be denied." Chevron has challenged the fine, arguing that lawyers and supporters of the indigenous groups who brought the case conspired to fabricate evidence. In a previous separate case, international arbitrators ordered the Ecuadorean government to pay $96m to Chevron because Ecuador's courts had violated international law as a result of delays in resolving commercial disputes involving Texaco.

Related Links:

US court upholds Chevron oil fine
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-14983123

Ecuador's oil battle far from over
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12521702

Chevron hits back in Amazon row
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12464063

Ecuador's Amazon drilling pledge still to take shape
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11818874

Ecuador country profile
http://www.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/country_profiles/1212882.stm

Related Stories on Other News sites:

Irish Times Ecuador court upholds Chevron ruling
http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?z5698340919&z=1250248780

Reuters UK UPDATE 3-Ecuador court upholds $18 bln ruling against Chevron

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?z5697633474&z=1250248784

Yahoo! Ecuador court upholds $18 billion ruling against Chevron
http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?z5696195158&z=1250248780

ONE News Oil giant ordered to pay $18b for polluting Amazon
http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?z5696020586&z=1250248780


On The Web:

Chevron Corporation http://www.chevron.com/

Texaco in Ecuador
http://www.texaco.com/sitelets/ecuador/en/responsetoclaims/default.aspx

Amazon Watch http://amazonwatch.org/

Ecuador presidency (in Spanish) http://www.presidencia.gov.ec/

Response to David Cameron's speech labelling H&S - a monster

Yesterday, the UK Prime Minister David Cameron hit out at health and safety, labelling it a ‘monster’ which was top of his New Year’s resolution list to ‘kill off’. Speaking to an audience of small businesses at a PM Direct event in Maidenhead, he claimed health and safety costs the nation millions of pounds and was the “albatross around the neck of British businesses”.

The IOSH media team first spotted Cameron’s declarations being tweeted by a BBC news reporter on Twitter, and responded quickly in a bid to make sure our voice was heard rebuking the flippant remarks.  We worked on a statement to press with IOSH head of policy and public affairs Richard Jones, which said the PM’s comments were appalling and unhelpful, considering regulations exist to prevent death, injury, or illness at work, protecting livelihoods in the process. A full report is available here:

http://www.iosh.co.uk/news_and_events/news/latest_member_news/camerons_monster_attack.aspx

The PM’s remarks were made all the more salient by the fact that yesterday, IOSH CEO Rob Strange met Professor Lofstedt to proceed with the good work already done.

IOSH’s social media channels were busy. It posted the story and quoted its rebuttal statement on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. The news obviously struck a chord with people, as there were 25 comments on Facebook, we had dozens of re-tweets and around 30 new followers on Twitter, plus eight comments and five likes on LinkedIn.

Richard Jones was later interviewed by BBC Radio 5 Live’s Drive Time show, hitting back at Cameron’s remarks. The interview can be listened to here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b018tz47/5_live_Drive_05_01_2012/?-t=2h39m5s

The response was picked up by numerous national and regional press outlets, including the Press Association, the national newswire, and has appeared in national print outlets today including Guardian, Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail. So far, nearly 10 regional newspapers have covered the story in print this morning and there have been as many as 100 hits online. These include:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-i-will-kill-off-safety-culture-6285238.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/8994868/Cameron-vows-to-cut-back-health-and-safety-monster.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jan/05/david-cameron-health-safety-monster?newsfeed=true

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/latestnews/view/228608/PM-I-will-kill-off-safety-culture/

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/2012/01/05/pm-i-will-kill-off-safety-culture-91466-30066252/

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24025511-pm-i-will-kill-off-safety-culture.do

http://www.people.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2012/01/05/pm-i-will-kill-off-safety-culture-102039-23681443/

http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/293702/PM-I-will-kill-off-safety-culture

http://www.scottishsundayexpress.co.uk/posts/view/293702/PM-I-will-kill-off-safety-culture

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/293702/PM-I-will-kill-off-safety-culture

Scottish Anthrax Outbreak was Worst in UK in 50 Years

An outbreak of anthrax among drug users in Scotland between 2009 and 2010 was the largest in the UK for 50 years, according to an official report.

Health Protection Scotland (HPS) said there were 119 cases of anthrax and a total of 14 deaths during the outbreak.

Its report also recorded it as "the first documented outbreak associated with heroin use anywhere in the world".

HPS warned that as long as there was an illegal drug trade there was a risk of a similar outbreak.

The report concluded that the anthrax came from "contaminated heroin imported to Scotland".

This, if found, was from "a single batch contaminated with anthrax spores via contact with a single infected animal or contaminated hide".

The HPS report said this was likely to have happened "somewhere in transit between Afghanistan/Pakistan and Scotland, probably in Turkey".